AU Optronics Corp. ("AUO" or the "Company") (TAIEX: 2409; NYSE: AUO) today held its investor conference and announced its unaudited consolidated financial results for the fourth quarter and fiscal year of 2014(1).
Consolidated revenues in the fourth quarter of 2014 were NT$105.45 billion, down 1.3% from the previous quarter. Gross profit was NT$15.62 billion, with gross margin of 14.8%. Operating profit was NT$8.82 billion, with the operating margin of 8.4%. AUO's net profit for the fourth quarter of 2014 was NT$6.57 billion. Net profit attributable to owners of Company was NT$6.00 billion, with a basic EPS of NT$0.62(2).
For the fiscal year of 2014, unaudited consolidated revenues totaled NT$408.18 billion, a decrease of 2.0% year-over-year. Net profit was NT$18.06 billion, with a basic EPS of NT$1.83(2).
In the fourth quarter of 2014, large-sized panel(3) shipments exceeded 29.40 million units, down slightly by 0.3% quarter-over-quarter. Shipments of small-and-medium-sized panels in the same quarter surpassed 42.71 million units, down by 11.4% quarter-over-quarter. For the full year of 2014, large-sized panel shipments totaled around 116.92 million units, roughly flat from the previous year. Small and medium-sized panel shipments were around 170.71 million units, up by 11.9% compared to the previous year.
AUO's unaudited consolidated results for the fourth quarter of 2014 were highlighted as below:
- Revenues of NT$105.45 billion, down 1.3% quarter-over-quarter
- Operating profit of NT$8.82 billion
- Net profit of NT$6.57 billion
- Basic EPS of NT$0.62(2)
- Gross margin was 14.8%
- Operating margin was 8.4%
- EBITDA(4) margin was 21.2
AUO's unaudited consolidated results for the fiscal year of 2014 were highlighted as below:
- Revenues of NT$408.18 billion, down 2.0% year-over-year
- Operating profit of NT$22.17 billion
- Net profit of NT$18.06 billion
- Basic EPS of NT$1.83(2)
- Gross margin was 11.9%
- Operating margin was 5.4%
- EBITDA(4) margin was 19.4%
Looking back to the fourth quarter, although IT and small-and-medium-sized panels have entered the period of seasonal adjustment, TV panel market remained strong on the back of the inventory-stocking demand ahead of the Chinese Lunar New Year. Thanks to the depreciation of the New Taiwan Dollar and the appropriate cost control of the Company, AUO's operating and EBITDA margin in the fourth quarter reached 8.4% and 21.2%, respectively. Its days of inventory also maintained a healthy level of 36 days. The company closed 2014 with a net profit of NT$18.06 billion, rising as much as 324.7% year-over-year to the highest in six years. In addition, management also endeavors to improve AUO's financial structure. As a result, the Company's total debt was reduced by NT$42.02 billion for the full year, and its net debt to equity ratio was lowered considerably to 30.3%, the lowest in four years.
Looking forward to 2015, AUO will enhance its high-quality production capacity through appropriate level of investments, and to continuously develop products with high cost-performance ratio to reach win-win cooperation with customers. Furthermore, the Company will proactively upgrade its existing technology base with a view to maintain its technology capability in the world's leading group and with a hope to continuously transcend itself and create a positive cycle with long-term profitability.
(1) All financial information was unaudited and was prepared by the Company in accordance with Taiwan IFRS.
(2) Basic EPS in the fourth quarter and the fiscal year of 2014 were calculated based on the weighted average outstanding shares of the fiscal year of 2014 (9,624 million shares).
(3) Large size refers to panels that are 10 inches and above in diagonal measurement.
(4) EBITDA = Operating Profit + D&A, that is, operating profit before depreciation and amortization.