AU Optronics Corp. ("AUO" or the "Company") (TAIEX: 2409; NYSE: AUO) today held its investor conference and announced its unaudited consolidated financial results for the first quarter of 2016(1)
Consolidated revenues in the first quarter of 2016 were NT$71.14 billion, down 14.7% from the previous quarter. Gross profit was NT$0.39 billion, with gross margin of 0.5%. Operating loss was NT$5.10 billion, with the operating margin of -7.2%. AUO’s net loss for the first quarter of 2016 was NT$5.58 billion. Net loss attributable to owners of the Company was NT$5.48 billion, with a basic EPS(2) of -NT$0.57.
In the first quarter of 2016, large-sized panel(3) shipments totaled 24.43 million units, a decrease of 11.5% quarter-over-quarter. Shipments of small-and-medium-sized panels in the same quarter exceeded 37.75 million units, up by 13.0% quarter-over-quarter.
AUO's unaudited consolidated results for the first quarter of 2016 were highlighted as below:
- Revenues of NT$71.14 billion
- Net loss of NT$5.58 billion
- Basic EPS (2) of -NT$0.57
- Gross margin was 0.5%
- Operating margin was -7.2%
- EBITDA(4) margin was 6.8%
As the first quarter was the traditional slow season and the customers continued to digest their inventories carried from the end of last year, market prices for panels were still on the decline. As a result, AUO’s financial results in the first quarter were less than ideal. Despite of such challenging market conditions, the management team has managed the Company’s inventory prudently, and kept its net debt to equity ratio at a low level at 17.6%. Overall speaking, the Company has been able to maintain its financial structure at a stable and healthy status.
Beginning from March, the market demand has shown signs of recovery, benefiting from the inventory preparation for the coming sports events and the Labor Day sales in China. Looking forward to the second quarter, the business momentum is expected to continue. AUO will keep promoting high value-added products, including curved TV panels, bezel-less TV panels, and integrated touch panels for notebook PCs, industrial PCs and cars. By continuing to pursue product strategies of “differentiation”, “quality optimization” and “value enhancement”, it is hoped that AUO can stand out from its peers in the panel industry with ever-intensifying competition.
(1) All financial information was unaudited and was prepared by the Company in accordance with Taiwan IFRS.
(2) Basic EPS in the first quarter of 2016 was calculated based on the weighted average outstanding shares of the reporting quarter (9,624 million shares).
(3) Large size refers to panels that are 10 inches and above in diagonal measurement.
(4) EBITDA = Operating Profit + D&A, that is, operating profit before depreciation and amortization.